Home Forums Circularity 8) RANDY OLSON: “1917” Demonstrates the basic rule of “Quick AB, long T”

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Story Circles Team 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

It’s one of the basic ABT properties we’ve realized with Story Circles Narrative Training. The quicker you can get through the AB, the more we’ll give you all day with the T. You can see it with the current Oscar-contending movie, “1917,” set during World War I. The movie takes all of about 3 minutes to get through the AB.

In the first scene an officer tells a young soldier to pick a friend and report to the general’s tent. They do. The general says I’ve got a dangerous mission for you. The two soldiers take off running into No Mans Land and that’s it — about 3 minutes into the 2 hour movie — the “And” and “But” are over with — it’s time for 2 hours of THEREFORE — all the actions and events that occur in the search to find the solution to the problem.

I noticed the same thing a couple years ago for another war movie, “Dunkirk.” It’s a general trend. As the public continues to lose interest in history, the people telling the stories are being forced to “cut to the chase” — meaning condense the AB down, just give us all the action.